Associate Professor, Sociology
217 Townshend Hall
1885 Neil Avenue Mall
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 2005
- Research Interests: Social demography, health and mortality, stratification and mobility, race/ethnicity.
- Current Research: Dr. Colen investigates linkages between racial and ethnic inequalities, status attainment processes, and health outcomes; rural/ urban patterning of morbidity and mortality; and the role of kinship networks as sources of resiliency among marginalized populations.
Dr. Colen's Seed Grants:
- (2016) Childhood Lead Exposure and Adolescent Risk-Taking Behaviors: Assessing a Potential Explanation for Recent Declines in Teen Childbearing Using Individual Level Data
- (2011) Racial disparities in mental health outcomes: Possible explanations for unexpected advantages among African American adolescents